Reducing our exposure to mercury isn’t discussed nearly as much as limiting our exposure to BPA or phthalates, probably because mercury has been phased out of most consumer products. But we are exposed to mercury more than you’d think and it can be quite dangerous.

Mercury exposure is linked to a range of serious diseases affecting our central nervous system, hearing and vision. And it is especially dangerous to babies, who experience an increased risk of developmental issues and learning disabilities when they are exposed to mercury in the womb or through breast milk.

We are most often exposed to mercury…

  • By eating large fish
  • By breaking a fluorescent bulb
  • In dental amalgams (a.k.a. “silver fillings”)
  • Through old paint manufactured prior to 1990

Eating Contaminated Fish

Mercury in Fish

Of all the ways we can become exposed to mercury, eating contaminated fish is the most common and the most dangerous.

Industrial factories are the main source of mercury and other toxins that pollute our oceans, lakes and rivers. When the pollution from these factories comes into contact with water, it converts to methylmercury, which is its most toxic form.

The methylmercury and other manufacturing toxins are consumed by small water organisms and plant life, and these smaller organisms are then consumed by larger fish. These larger fish are then eaten by even larger fish, and so on.

The mercury biologically accumulates as it moves higher and higher up the food chain. As a result, larger fish suffer the highest concentrations of mercury and are the most dangerous to eat.

Reduce Mercury Exposure

Share it!