Let’s face it. A greasy sausage and egg sandwich might taste good, but it can leave you sluggish and gassy, which isn’t going to impress the boss. Skip the fatty morning busters and give yourself the energy-boosting breakfast you deserve!
Healthy Vegetarian Breakfast Ideas
Sweet breakfast ideas
- My ultimate favorite is the Brazilian breakfast bowl. Grab some açai smoothie packets from the freezer section of your health food store. Mix half a packet of açai with a cup of soy milk and half a banana. Sprinkle some berries and hemp granola on top along with the rest of the sliced banana. Enjoy your burst of scrumptious energy!
- A hearty brown rice porridge is perfect in cooler weather and is a great use of leftovers. Warm up last night’s brown rice in a small pot with a little almond milk, some raisins, a spoonful of real maple syrup and a dash or two of cinnamon. Substitute amaranth for brown rice in warmer weather.
- Almond butter toast. Toast a slice of bread (preferably sprouted and/or gluten-free) and smear on some almond butter. Top it with a few slices of your favorite in-season fruit and sprinkle with flax seeds or sunflower seeds.
- Classic oatmeal with a twist. In a small pot, mix 1/2 cup rolled oatmeal (preferably gluten-free) and your favorite fruit with 1-1/4 cup of water. Add a pinch of salt, bring the water to a boil and simmer for 5 mins. That’s the classic. For a twist, use superfoods instead of your “regular” fruit. My favorites are mulberries, açai powder, maqui powder, coconut flakes or goji berries. You can easily find any of these online or at your local health food store.
Savory breakfast ideas
My sister makes the best avocado breakfast sandwich. Toast a thick slice of bread and top it with sprouts, cucumber and sea salt. The sprouts already add protein, but layer on some sustainably-raised goat cheese feta for a little extra.
- Throw some of last night’s brown rice and lentils into a small pot. Add your favorite veggies (I love tomato and avocado for this dish) and a pinch of sea salt. Warm it up and enjoy. Not that you need the extra protein (lentils are already packed with it) but you can top it with an organic pasture-raised egg, prepared however you like, for added taste. Nom-nom!
- Bagel and (Mediterranean) schmear. Grab a package of sprouted bagels in the freezer section of the health food store. Warm a bagel in the oven or toast it, and schmear with some organic hummus. Top with a dark green lettuce, Persian cucumber, tomato and sliced kalamata olives.